Home  >  FAQs
NJ Veterinary Medical Association
390 Amwell Road, Suite 402
Hillsborough, NJ 08844
Phone:  908-281-0918
Fax:  908-450-1286


Q:   Where can I find a list of veterinarians in my area?
A:    Please visit the “
Find a Veterinarian page to search for NJVMA Member veterinarians by last name, practice name, town, county, practice type or areas of interest.

Q:   Where can I find a veterinarian who specializes or is Board Certified?
A:    There are 20 categories of Board certification in veterinary medicine, covering a broad range of specialties. Ask
       your veterinarian if he/she is Board certified, and if not, if he/she would refer your pet to a specialist.

Q:   Do you have a list of emergency veterinary hospitals in the state?
A:   Yes, please visit the
Have an Emergency? page for a list of hospitals.

Q:  Do you have information about the sales of pets and unfit for purchase certificates?
A:  Yes, the NJVMA has the developed the Sales of Pets Brochure with answers to your most frequently asked questions.

Q:   I can’t afford veterinary services for my pet? What can I do?
A:   Unlike human medicine, there are no uncompensated care provisions for people lacking the ability to pay for veterinary services. Please speak to your veterinarian. Explain your situation and see it’s possible to arrange a convenient payment plan that works for you. Also, there are a number of local
animal charities that may be able to help. You may also apply for a Care Credit loan; visit their website for more information.

Q:   What are the regulations for my pet to travel?
A:   All US States require proof of vaccination against rabies. If you decide to take your pet with you when you go abroad, you should check with the embassies of the destination countries as to specific requirements that must be met before a pet may be brought into that country. A listing of foreign embassies and consulates in the U.S. are available on the
U.S. Department of State’s website.

Q:   How do I obtain a list of USDA certified veterinarians in NJ?
A:    For more information about USDA certified vets in NJ, please contact the USDA-APHIS office at 609-259-8387.

Q:   My pet needs to be spayed/neutered but I am disabled or on public assistance and have no money for the procedure OR I rescued/adopted a pet from a shelter & would like to have them spayed/neutered but I don’t have the money for the procedure. What can I do?
A:    Please contact the NJ Dept of Health & Senior Services at 609-588-3121; they can give you the name of a vet in your local area that is participating in their statewide Spay & Neuter Program.

Q:   I found a dog/cat and am unable to keep it but don’t want to bring it to a shelter because I afraid the animal to be euthanized. What can I do?
A:    Please contact the NJ Dept of Health & Senior Services at 609-292-6913; they will be able to provide a list of No-Kill Shelters in New Jersey.

Q:   How do I go about filing a complaint against a vet?
A:   Complaints against veterinarians are reviewed by the
State Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners 973-504-6500. This board licenses and regulates veterinarians in New Jersey. Inquiries or complaints may be forwarded to Howard Pine, Executive Director, Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners, PO Box 45020 Newark, NJ 07101, 973-504-6500.

Q:   How do I go about filing a complaint against a veterinary hospital or clinic?
A:   All complaints regarding facilities should go through the State of NJ, Dept of Law & Public Safety, Division of Consumer Affairs, please contact them at 973-504-6200.

Q:  My partner and I are no longer together, so what happens to our pet?
A:   If the pet is listed under one partner’s name (either through purchase or adoption papers), typically that person is considered the owner. In case of contested divorce, the judge will make a ruling on division of all marital assets.

New Jersey Veterinary Foundation (NJVF)

Q:  What is the New Jersey Veterinary Foundation?
A:  The NJVF is the philanthropic arm of the NJVMA, all donations that are given by a veterinarian, hospital or the public are used in one of three ways: for Animal Welfare (to improve animal welfare programs), for Veterinary Student Financial Aid (which helps provide assistance to needed veterinary students through the foundations loan & grant program), or for the General Foundation Fund (to be used in the area which has the greatest need).

Q:  Where can I find more information about making a Donation to the New Jersey Veterinary Foundation?
A:   Please visit the NJVF webpage at   for more information about donation opportunities and programs.

Q:  I would like to make a donation in memory of a pet that passed away or in honor of a veterinarian. How do I go about making a donation?
A:  You can make a donation by check or credit card for any amount you would like. You can choose where you would like to see the donation applied to, there are three categories: Animal Welfare (to improve animal welfare programs), Veterinary Student Financial Aid (helps provide assistance to needed veterinary students through the foundations loan & grant program), or General Foundation Fund (to be used in the area which has the greatest need). Please
NJVF page to learn more and to make a donation.



  ©2013 NJ Veterinary Medical Association. All rights reserved.